Herefordshire has more than 3,000 orchards-more than anywhere else in the UK-making it ‘The Country of Orchards’, or as John Evelyn the diarist put it in 1664, ‘Herefordshire has become in a manner an entire orchard’.
To celebrate this rich orchard heritage, The Royal Horticultural Society in partnership with the Herefordshire Year in the Orchard has launched the RHS Pomona Awards. The RHS Pomona Awards will be awarded to orchards in Herefordshire that are exceptional in a variety of ways. We want to celebrate the achievements of growers, horticulturists, cider makers and amateurs who carry on the wonderful orchard tradition with new practices, techniques and varieties. If you know an orchard-any size- that deserves recognition, you can enter it in the traditional bush orchard categories of the RHS Pomona Award.
For more information and application go to www.yearintheorchard.org
Entries must be submitted by 30th June 2011
Herefordshire Year in the Orchard
Two hundred years ago Thomas Andrew Knight published his beautifully illustrated Pomona Herefordiensis, the first book cataloguing in detail varieties of apple and pear. A renowned horticulturist, he helped to found what became the Royal Horticultural Society and in 1811 became its second President.
To celebrate these bicentenaries and Herefordshire’s forgotten horticultural hero, 2011 has become Herefordshire Year of the Orchard. To help you join in the country’s celebrations there are events and activities taking place throughout 2011. Here are just a few examples to whet your appetite!
• Walks, talks and activities in orchards with Once Upon a Tree
• Celebrate Blossomtime with the Big Apple
• Learn about the life of Thomas Andrew Knight through the talks and exhibitions at the Hereford Cider Museum and the Hereford Museum & Art Gallery
• Explore the wildlife of orchards by joining a bat walk, moth night or bird watch
• Walk on and apple tree mosaic outside Hereford Cathedral
• October is the month of apples with numerous apple days, apple displays-everything apple!
• Plant and apple tree in your community with Pommunity Herefordiensis
• Christmas fairs offering local mistletoe and orchard produce
Want to know more? Visit www.yearintheorchard.org