Herefordshire has more than 3,000 orchards-more than anywhere else in the UK-making it ‘The Country of Orchards’, or as John Evelyn the diarist put it in 1664, ‘Herefordshire has become in a manner an entire orchard’.
To celebrate this rich orchard heritage, The Royal Horticultural Society in partnership with the Herefordshire Year in the Orchard has launched the RHS Pomona Awards. The RHS Pomona Awards will be awarded to orchards in Herefordshire that are exceptional in a variety of ways. We want to celebrate the achievements of growers, horticulturists, cider makers and amateurs who carry on the wonderful orchard tradition with new practices, techniques and varieties. If you know an orchard-any size- that deserves recognition, you can enter it in the traditional bush orchard categories of the RHS Pomona Award.
For more information and application go to www.yearintheorchard.org
Entries must be submitted by 30th June 2011
Herefordshire Year in the Orchard
Two hundred years ago Thomas Andrew Knight published his beautifully illustrated Pomona Herefordiensis, the first book cataloguing in detail varieties of apple and pear. A renowned horticulturist, he helped to found what became the Royal Horticultural Society and in 1811 became its second President.
To celebrate these bicentenaries and Herefordshire’s forgotten horticultural hero, 2011 has become Herefordshire Year of the Orchard. To help you join in the country’s celebrations there are events and activities taking place throughout 2011. Here are just a few examples to whet your appetite!
• Walks, talks and activities in orchards with Once Upon a Tree
• Celebrate Blossomtime with the Big Apple
• Learn about the life of Thomas Andrew Knight through the talks and exhibitions at the Hereford Cider Museum and the Hereford Museum & Art Gallery
• Explore the wildlife of orchards by joining a bat walk, moth night or bird watch
• Walk on and apple tree mosaic outside Hereford Cathedral
• October is the month of apples with numerous apple days, apple displays-everything apple!
• Plant and apple tree in your community with Pommunity Herefordiensis
• Christmas fairs offering local mistletoe and orchard produce
Want to know more? Visit www.yearintheorchard.org
Herefordshire- What’s On!
- Summer on the lake- 25th June
- Bat walk- 9th July
- Hereford and Leominster Kite festival- 16 &17 July
- Dragons, damsels and lake dipping- 1, 18, 15 &22 August
- Teddy bears picnic- 9th August
- Mermaids and Pirates- 16 August
- Heritage open day- 10 September
- Walk through paradise wood- 23 May
- Children’s literature trail- 28 May & 5 June
- Evening walk- 30 June
- Ancient tree walk- 14 July
- Mini beast hunt- 4th August
- Moat dipping- 5&13 August
- Moat dipping/mini beasts- 17 August
- Make a woodland picture- 23 August
- Children’s outdoor trails-31 August
- Orchard Walk- 15 September
- All things Damson- 3&$ September
Croft Castle & Parkland
- Rangers rumble- 3 July, 4 September& 2 October
- Children’s literary trails- 28-30 May, 1-5 June,
- Ranger’s poetry ramble- 5 June
- Ancient tree walks- 12, 17 June & 7 October
- In pursuit of spring- 18 June
- Children’s outdoor trails- 1 to31 August & 1-4 September
- Bat walk- 17 July &23 September
- A midsummer night’s dream- 3 August
- Ugly Bug safaris- 3,10,17,24 &31 August
- Medieval weekend- 3 August
- Canterbury tales- 17 August
- Heritage open day-10 September
- Wildflowers of the air- 18 May
- Children’s literary trails- 28- 31 May &1-5 June
- Veni.Vidi, Vici- 22 June
- Bat walk- 30 July &25 September
- Children’s outdoor trails- 1-31 August
- Back to nature- 4, 11, 18 &25 August
- Heritage open day- 10 September
To celebrate the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William over 50 guests joined in the celebration at the Wilton Court. Guests were served on arrival at 10am with tea coffee and home made danish pastries. Two large television screens were installed in the Mulberry Restaurant for guests to enjoy the ceremony followed by, Bellini s and canapes, a three course sumptuous lunch and wedding cake. Pictured guests raising a glass to the Royal couple wishing them every happiness in the future.
Tour Guides for Herefordshire and Welsh Boarder
Marches Tours & Talks – our tour guide association – takes its name from this area of western England, which is called ‘The Marches’ meaning a ‘boundary’ – the boundary between England and Wales. One of the counties in these Marcher lands is Herefordshire – still a secret place known only to those who really seek it out. Here you will see an unspoilt rural landscape at its most beautiful, where you can wander and walk. We have no motorways and no theme parks – just a slower pace of life which gives you time to think and relax.
Each of the CDs are on sale at £5 from local Tourist information centres or direct from marches Tours and Talks (£6 inc p&p) or visit http://www.marchestourstalks.co.uk/
- ‘The Golden Valley & Beyond’ (via Longtown, Craswall, Hay-on-wye, Peterchurch and Abbeydore)
- ‘The Black & White Villages’ (vis Leominster, Weobley, Kington, Pembridge, Earisland)
- ‘Ledbury and Beyond’ (via Much Marcle, Much Cowarne, Bishop’s Frome, Castle Frome and Bosbury)
- ‘Ross-on-Wye & Beyond’ (via Goodrich, Yat Rock, The Kymin, Monmouth, Garway and Hoarwithy)
The Forest of Dean Morris Men will be dancing here at Wilton Court Ross on Wye at 6.00 pm on St George’s Day- Saturday 23rd April. Come and join in on the fun!
Hoping to join them on the day will be Wimberley Cloggers and Wild Oats Morris
For more information call Barry on 01594 824177 http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/forestofdeanmorris/
More than ever before, the Midlands’ hospitality and tourism industry is critical to the Region’s success. Awareness of the Region nationally and internationally, as a thriving business center, as an unmatched location for tourism and with an unrivaled selection of locations for events – is at its highest ever level.
Marche is committed to promoting and protecting the interests of the industry. With a membership drawn from independents or part of a chain, large or small, supplier or service provider – Marche provides a unique focus for organisations of all sizes from every relevant section of the industry.
Another exciting MARCHE Awards for Excellence Ceremony took place on Sunday 27 March at The International Convention Centre in the heart Birmingham, centre of our region. Over 100 tables of guests cheered to finalists as they waited to hear the results of the competitions. Katie Ruddock , Assistant Manager of Wilton Court Restaurant with rooms was ’Highly Commended in the Manager of Tomorrow Category ( Pictured centre with Mark Blake deputy chairman Marche and sponsor – Heath Thomas , Antony Collins Solicitors. Well done Katie many congratulations on your achievement. Daniel Lewis commis chef was also one of the 12 finalists in the young chef category.
One week to show how we can combat climate change- 21 to 27 March 2011
Thousands of events and activities are highlighting the positive steps being taken to help combat climate change, are being planned by organisations from every sector for the UK’s first Climate Week.
Climate Week is backed by every part of society- from the Prime Minister to Paul McCartney, the NHS to the National Trust, Girl guiding UK to the CBI, the Big Fund Lottery Fund to the National Association of Head Teachers.
Climate Week is sponsored by a Headline Partner- Tesco- and four Supporting Partners- Aviva, EDF Energy, Kelloggs and RBS.
Organisations can get involved right now by starting a plan an event for Climate Week, entering the prestigious Climate Week Awards or registering to take part in the UK’s biggest ever live environmental competition, the Climate Week Challenge. They can also spread the word in advance, so that others find out about Climate Week in time to plan their own activities.
Individuals can help right now by asking the organisations they know- such as their workplace or local school- to plan an event or activity for Climate Week.
To find out more about Climate Week go to www.climateweek.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone on 020 3397 2601.
Wilton Court will be arranging a climate pub quiz later on in the spring and will blog details shortly.
What’s on at the National Trust for visitors to Herefordshire and the Wye Valley this spring
- Spring flower weekends 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 to 27 February 11am-4pm
- Bird box making 21 February, 11am-3pm
- Heron Walks 4, 17 April & 3 May, 2pm
- Easter Trails 24, 25 April, 10am-4pm
- Georgian Weekend 14, 15 May, 10am-5pm (Free entry for visitors dressed in period costume)
- World War II weekend 4, 5 June 10am- 5pm (Free entry for visitors dressed in period costumes)
- Easter Trails 22-25 April, 11am- 4pm
- Croft Castle and Parkland
- Make a nest box 23 February, 11am- 4pm
- Bunny Hunt 24-25 April, 10am-4pm (Trail ends at 4pm) Last entry to gardens is 5pm
- Wildflower Walk 29 April, 1pm-4pm Free to children
- Pumpkin Planters 30 April, 10am-4pm
- Bluebell Walks 11&20 May, 1pm-4pm Free to children
- Falconry with Trevor Hill 30 May, 10am-4pm
The Weir Gardens
- Make a nest box 24 February, 11am-4pm
- Spring flower days 22 March, 11am-4pm
- Pumpkin Planters 20, 27 April, 11am-4pm
- Easter egg trails 24, 25 April, 11am- 4pm
- For further details please visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk
In 2011 Herefordshire will be celebrating the Year of the Orchard with a range of events that will be featured on the cider route, web site www.ciderroute.co.uk
There’s always something happening in Herefordshire, whatever time of year you decide to visit- food, literary, music and walking festivals, medieval re-enactments, art and crafts, farming and countryside events. Here’s a sample of what’s on.
- 26th MAY-5th JUNE- Hay International Literature Festival www.hayfestival.com
19th- 26th JUNE- Shobdon Festival www.shobdonfestival.co.uk
17-19 JUNE- Three Counties Show Ground www.threecounties.co.uk
18-26 JUNE- Herefordshire Walking Festival www.walkingfestival.com
24-26 JUNE- Dore Abbey Music Festival www.doreabbey.co.uk
1-10 JULY- Ledbury Poetry Festival www.poetry-festival.com
2-3 JULY- Bromyard Gala- Countryside Show and Steam Rally www.bromyardgala.org.uk
8-10 JULY- Beer on the Wye Festival www.herefordcamra.org.uk
16-17 JULY- Much Marcle Steam Rally www.muchmarclesteamrally.com
29-31 JULY- Nozstock Music Festival www.nozstock.com
4-7 AUGUST- The Big Chill www.bigchill.net
2-4 SEPTEMBER- Broome Farm Cider Festival www.rosscider.com
10th SEPTEMBER- Kington Show www.kingtonshow.co.uk
10- 18 SEPTEMBER- H Art Week www.h-art.org.uk
1-2 OCTOBER- Ross on Wye Walking Festival www.ross-on-whywalkersarewelcome.co.uk
15-16 OCTOBER-Cider Making Festival www.cidermuseum.co.uk
15th OCTOBER- RHS Apple Show www.hergest.co.uk
22-23 OCTOBER- Flavours of Herefordshire Food Festival www.visitherefordshire.co.uk
11-13 NOVEMBER- Hereford Contempary Art and Craft Fair www.h-craftfair.co.uk
For details of where to stay or dine during your visit please visit our website www.wiltoncourthotel.com
At the Wilton Court Restaurant with rooms we are inviting you to join us in celebrating the Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton on Friday 29th April 2011. Arrive on Thursday evening and enjoy a three course dinner in the Mulberry Restaurant from our a la carte menu. After a comfortable nights sleep in one of our individually decorated en suite bedrooms and a tasty breakfast, the celebrations will commence. We will be serving tea coffee and pastries at 10.30.
Full TV coverage of the wedding will be viewed on a large screen from 11.00am followed by a Bellini and canapés and then a sumptuous lunch, served in the Mulberry restaurant. To enjoy the whole royal experience why not stay from £ 250.00 to £290.00 per room for two people sharing. Should you wish to stay an extra night we would be pleased to offer a 10 % discount from our room rates or dinner bed and breakfast packages.
If you find yourself tied up with other commitments why not take a break from your average days dramas and just enjoy lunch? The celebrations will commence at 10.30 to include tea coffee and pastries a glass of Bellini, canapés followed by lunch at £37.50 per person.
For details on our menus please visit www.wiltoncourthotel.com.